25 Q & A Sites on Mental Illness
Learning about the varieties of mental illnesses could take a lifetime, especially if you focus on treatments and causes. By tapping into resources such as wikis or question and answer sites, a student or psychologist can learn about nuances within specific mental illnesses that may not be found in textbooks or medical journals. The following Q&A sites focus on mental health or illness in general, for specific audiences and for professionals.
General Q&A on Mental Illnesses
- Answers to Common Questions about Counseling: At Health provides a Q&A that focuses on mental health counseling, from issues tackled to cost of counseling, insurance coverage and length of treatment.
- Experts 123: This section on mental health provides basic questions and answers to broad questions about mental illness. Be aware What is up today is the Beta version of the site. That means it is a more advanced testing environment.
- Frequently Asked Questions About Mental Illness: The Focused on increasing awareness and promoting continued education related to mental illness, The Kim Foundation strives to break down the stigma often associated with seeking mental health care. They offer generalized Q&A about mental illness.
- Mental Health America Frequently Asked Questions and Answers: The questions at MHA are linked to extensive answers about everything from treatments to clinical trials and from insurance issues to support groups. Mental Health America (formerly known as the National Mental Health Association) is the country’s leading nonprofit dedicated to helping all people live mentally healthier lives.
- Mental Health Questions & Answers: Healthier You offers a broad Q&A about the topic of mental illness, and defines those illnesses and causes in a broad way. Great resource for base study.
- NAMI Featured Video Archives: These videos, offered by the National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI), provide answers to a variety of questions about mental illness. Topics include schizophrenia, children’s diagnosis, mental health treatment and adolescent suicide, among other topics.
- Psych Central Published Questions: Psych Central Answers is a place where people can ask and answer questions about mental health and relationship issues in a safe & supportive environment. This portion of the site provides questions and answers about a variety of topics concerning mental health.
- Questions and Answers for People with Mental Illness: Now that there are laws protecting people with mental illness, employers may have more education and greater understanding about mental illness. Disability Rights of North Carolina provides a Q&A that appeals to those individuals who think they might have mental illness issues and who have questions about jobs, legal issues and government mandates.
- Mental Health Frequently Asked Questions: The Rural Assistance Center offers frequently asked questions and answers regarding mental health and treatment, costs, payments and statistics.
- Mental Health Service Dog Question & Answer: With over 20 years of combined experience in dog training, Heeling Allies’ trainers utilize their dynamic expertise to tailor train mental health assistance dogs that meet the unique needs of individuals with mental health challenges. If you have questions about using Mental Health Service Dogs, you might find the answers here.
- Questions and Answers on Army STARRS: The National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH) offers questions and answers about their STAFFS program. Army STARRS is the largest study of suicide and mental health among military personnel ever undertaken.
- Schizophrenia — Questions And Answers: The National Institute of Mental Health focuses entirely on schizophrenia in this Q&A paper, prepared by the Schizophrenia Research Branch, David Shore, M.D., Editor of the Division of Clinical Research.
- Senior Mental Health: This Web site is dedicated to mental health issues and concerns for the elderly. Dr. Sterling provides his professional training in Geriatric Psychiatry and from his personal experience to questions and answers at this site.
- Teen Suicide Questions and Answers: Tandem Journey has only one goal in mind, which is to help parents with the tremendously difficult job of raising teens in a world that seems at times to be out of control. This topic is just one of many that addresses teens’ mental health issues.
Columns and Web Sites
- Answer: The mental health section to this Q&A Web site provides answers to mental health questions from mental health professionals. Ask questions about symptoms, treatment options, or caring for a loved one with a mental disorder – for information, a second opinion, or peace of mind.
- Answering your mental health questions: Dr. Charles Raison, a psychiatrist at Emory University Medical School, answers questions about mental health for CNN Health. In addition to helping people with questions about specific mental illnesses, he hopes, through answering your questions, to show how modern science is proving that the best way to avoid mental illness is to become as mentally, and physically healthy, as possible.
- Ask / Search Health Questions: Healthcare Magic provides a number of answers about health and wellness in mental health topics that range from social anxiety disorders to treatment and medications. Qualified doctors answer readers’ questions.
- Dear Mental Illness: This entire Web site is devoted to answering questions about mental illnesses. There is little to define who answers the questions, but the location of this service is in the UK.
- Mental Health Net: Mental Help Net offers advice and informational columns at their site. The answers are provided by doctors and counselors who promote online mental health education and provides scientifically accurate and up-to-date coverage of mental health and illness topics.
- WebMD Mental Health: This section of WebMD offers articles and answers to questions about ADHD, anxiety, bipolar disorder, depression, schizophrenia and other mental health issues. WebMD also offers users a way to create your own community based upon your interest in mental health.
For Mental Health Professionals
- Legally Safe Mental Health Practice: Psycholegal Questions and Answers: The 1998 Journal of Pscyhotherapy Practice and Research offers answers from Robert Woody, PhD. Woody was the author of Legally Safe Mental Health Practice, a useful and informative source for both psychiatric residents and staff.
- Mental Health Interview Questions: If you want to work in a mental health hospital, you might have some questions about that interview process. This Q&A, offered by Common Interview Questions, provides the questions and the answers.
- Mental Health Professionals Questions & Answers: Mental Health Pros provides answers for individuals who have questions about how to inspire and support people to experience the powerful benefits of increased care for their health, by themselves and others and who want to be at the forefront of investigating behavioral sciences that will prevent disease and restore optimal mental health.
- National Institute of Mental Health: This site, part of a government incentive, provides answers to questions about a wide range of mental health issues from anxiety disorders to suicide prevention. Readers also can find information about medications, psychotherapies and brain stimulation.
- Popular Questions & Answers for Mental health counselors in the Home Health Care Services Industry: Find the Data provides a Q&A for health care professionals who might want to work in the mental health care field.